Having healed well enough from my gallbladder surgery I wanted one last adventure before school started so we ran off to Victoria, BC. We stayed in an old Manor-turned-hotel. I guess I didn't read the description very well or maybe I was just smitten with the idea of staying in a room described as a "Euro-style Loft." It turns out the sleeping arrangement was one twin bed and a bunkbed up in the loft. I got the top bunk since my fellows are adverse to heights. I had thought the bed on the left was a double bed. Oh well!
We had a wonderful afternoon tea. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it as my family and I eat like foxes the moment the food hits the table.
A normal day in our house...
Sadly, I only briefly saw one old punk dude walking about. I love that Victoria, BC has the cleanest and oldest looking punks I've ever seen. Black boots, check! Fitted leather pants and vest, check! Shiny wallet chain, check! And a mohawk, brightly colored hair or other interesting hair style, check!
I imagine if you stood in front of them too long they'd ever so politely tell you to "Sod off" in one direction or another.
I never feel threatened by anything when it comes to hanging out in British Columbia, except that one international incident with an aggressive lesbian trying to have her way with me in the bathroom when her Russian girlfriend showed up. If looks could kill... When we'd met at a bar table earlier, I'd asked the Brazilian woman what she was into. I had meant hobbies, not offering an invitation to get overly friendly with my person in the bathroom. Sheesh!
The things that impressed me the most on this trip is how hard Victoria is trying to be eco-friendly. Every place we went was making the effort to reduce, reuse and recycle. It's always been a good place to visit whether you are gay, straight or bisexual, but I noticed there was even more emphasis on accepting people who are non-binary or gender nonconforming. The cashier at the liquor store and I immediately bonded the moment we said "Hello." I must have stayed to chat for 20 minutes before heading back to the hotel room with the bottle of wine I had gone out to fetch.
The other person was the one who served us afternoon tea. A rather mercurial spirit, but I managed to paddle mostly in the center. I could feel that they were tired on the edge of grumpy, but not unpleasant. I think their job drains them too much. It's like that sometimes. You can't like your job all the time and I personally know that customer service can be particularly draining when it comes to occupations related to the tourism industry.
Finally, there was a fine boat named PROXIMA! I would have asked the people why they chose that name for their boat, but they weren't there.
Last Call for pictures! Wednesday, August 31st is the last day to submit an "Unknown Paths" picture. Submissions will be posted on Thursday, Sept 1st (possibly split between Sept 1st & 2nd, I haven't decided yet.)
Interactive: Trees & Paths photo submissions – The Nature-led Life
Well, it sounds as though you had a good, fun trip. I wouldn't have minded the twin beds, but I also look for at least a full, in case I have , huh, a "guest " join me, you know, for the local experience. Good grief, you might have had your hands full with a lesbian and a Brazilian woman!!!!
ReplyDeleteMistress Borghese
Overall it was fun.
DeleteYes, that whole trip to Vancouver, BC that time had been quite crazy. It was a "reconciliation trip" with a friend that'd gotten mad at me (for being right that he'd just lost $5k to a pyramid scheme and then left me in Vancouver to find my own way back to Seattle.) So this trip, we're in a club and he's lamenting how he can't find a nice woman because he's too shy to talk to them, so I volunteered to be his wingman. "Pick any woman you're interested in and I'll invite her over to our table, but then YOU have to talk to her. I can't do all the work. Don't stare at her like a big dope." So he picks out the Brazilian woman. How were we to know they were gay? They weren't overly touchy with each other, giving each other 'come hither' stares or anything like that. As far as we could tell they could have been two straight women looking for love. After the bathroom incident I grabbed by friend and said we were out of there, told him what happened and swore I'd never be a wingman again. So, then he was upset that "I make everyone fall in love with me even when I'm not trying." At least he wasn't mad enough about it to leave me in Canada this time! (And society likes to pretend like straight, white men never get overly dramatic about anything! *eyeroll)
Men.
Delete*shakes head*
Indeed!
Delete*Makes note to never ask people what they're in to whilst stood at the bar*
ReplyDeleteSx
Hahaha.
DeleteDo Brits use the terms wingman/wingwoman? A friend who creates an opportunity for you to talk to someone you're interested in? I should never had made the offer! I bring nothing but chaos to the table sometimes.
Glad you've got the surgery behind you. I have a fear of bunk beds. I'm not claustrophobic normally but I find both the top and the bottom very constricted and get fears based on the top collapsing. Actually that looks even madder written down than it sounds in my head.
ReplyDeleteDear Hound, I can assure you this was a solidly welded bunkbed even for my big bum and no squeaking either! You can add "Not sleeping in a bunkbed" to your list of reasons why you likely wouldn't do well in the military.
DeleteBut would do much better in the navy, nudge nudge wink wink 😜
Delete