Last week was a shit week.
My mom is in poor health, and they were supposed to move to somewhere safer (and with less stairs), but they panicked and squashed the deal. They'll continue to stay where they are, and I'll continue to worry about them there. Sometimes it feels like my parents and their counterparts are racing each other to the grave. The whole lot of them are falling apart, Mom, Dad, Stepdad, Stepmom. Then last Monday Mister Proxima Blue got laid off from work, just like that. On a Monday morning with no warning after twenty years of service to the company!
The next morning, he gave the kid a hug right before walking to school and our poor son burst into tears. It's bewildering, disrespectful and just so frustrating that a career can suddenly end like this. We're all in a state of shock and grief. I think maybe I should man up and start earning the bread around here. It shouldn't just be him. I'm grateful for this time I've had to be a stay-at-home parent and come into my own. One way or the other, we'll be all right, but our families depend on us. It's an extra element of pressure. We've always been the stable, responsible ones that others count on. We can't falter now!
It was terrible the way they did the layoffs. It was a video call with multiple people. They couldn't use their mics or the chat function. They just had to sit there and listen to the Vice President and a Human Resources person give a canned speech and that was that. It was also some poor bastard's birthday too!
We're trying to thinking of it as a new (albeit forced) opportunity.
The night before the layoff we were talking about doing a really big vacation. The vacation of a lifetime, two months in Europe! We'd start in the UK. Our son is currently obsessed with all things British. (Maybe because most of his favorite Youtubers are British?) He said once, "We're basically British." No kid, we're not. I can hear all my proud wartime ancestors rolling in their graves, especially the ones from the American Revolution. There's also no way this kid would ever give up his PB & J sandwiches for beans on toast!
Of course, Germany is on the list too! We'll have to go to the Czech Republic because Mister Prox has a childhood friend there. We could happily eat our way through Italy and Spain. Alas, this dream trip is going to have to be on hold. I was hoping we could do it within a year or two, but now we've got a lot to figure out.
-----------
And finally, I submitted a short story to a local contest. It's nothing much but wish me luck! I write and write, but I rarely ever share it. I've got to toughen up on this account or stop calling myself a writer.
---------------
When I was nine, I told a woman that Stevie Nicks was my godmother because I wanted it to be true.
When it rains it pours. The parent thing is out of your control but sorry to hear about it none the less. The lay off thing always hurts even though it's not personal. I have been there twice, and while it's not personal, it is still hard to accept and not take it as such. The last time was when the pandemic hit...and took my job of 15 years. But remember there is always sun on the other side of the hill. It may take time...but it's there. I hope things will look up for you both. Look at me. I found another job I love, and still kept my houseboys!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you recovered from a similar shock and found a job you love! Yes, I must keep the houseboys and maybe add a few to the menagerie. The poor fellow that does the landscaping for the neighborhood is barely paid to survive. At least I give him free water and a place to rest unharassed.
DeleteSounds like the week from hell. One thing though - I regret persuading my elderly parents into a bungalow - I don't think it helped them at all. I think they would have been happier in the house they'd lived in for most of their married life.
ReplyDeleteThe way of delivering the news of the job loss is shocking - but becoming more common. You will ride out this storm, you are capable and creative - you have what it takes.
Sx
The neighborhood has gone downhill and they are finally starting to lock their doors! Plumbers are coming to figure out how to move the washing machine upstairs so they won't need to go in the basement anymore. My mom falls a lot now days and there's stairs to get in and out of the house too. Thank you!
DeleteOh, lawdy, Melanie - I feel for you. Chin up! You know you will get through this. Jx
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jon. We've always been rather frugal. It's just that worry about not knowing what will happen next.
DeleteBlimey, Melanie - that does indeed sound like a shit week. I haven't really got anything more to add to what Maddie, Ms Scarlet and Jon have already said, but amongst many other things you are strong, creative and resilient, so you and your family will end up on the right side (sooner rather than later, hopefully).
ReplyDeleteOh, and good luck in the short story contest!
P.S. Surely something good happened last week too, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant?
DeleteThe good news I suppose is that I'd already bought my punch cards for the swimming pool that should get me through two months of lap swims and water aerobics. I've got a slight schoolgirl crush on the aerobics instructor, you know. She's also a yoga teacher. Such a beautiful body and spirit. It's nice to have an excuse to follow her every move with my eyes. The parts where I find myself flopping about like a whale are rather embarrassing though. I did earn a long awkward hug from her, but I didn't know where to put my hands, so I just dropped them awkwardly at my sides and leaned in and tried to relax.
DeleteOh hell, I am sorry. Best wishes as you go into the future.
ReplyDeleteIn good news: Stevie Nicks is the great godmother of all living, and that's official.
Thank you. I've met several famous people and never been starstruck to silence, but I probably would if I had the opportunity to meet Stevie Nicks in person. To have her beautiful voice directed to me personally would be a dream! Even if I sneezed and she merely said, "Bless you" or whatever it is earthly goddesses say.
DeleteMelanie, that's a terrible week for you. All of you. What a bastard Mr Blue's boss was!! But I know you can stiffen the sinews and summon up the blood. Big hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dinah. Stiffening the sinews and summon up the blood? You cheer me up with naughty insinuations that I could hold such power over others. That's my kind of fiend/friend indeed! Ha!
Delete