Doughnut Names

 



This song is lyrical brilliance! "All the doughnuts have names that sound like prostitutes." 

Tom Waits sings in his signature style like an old workhorse that's been smoking ten packs of cigarettes a day.

This song lyric is the first thing that comes to mind when I contemplate the question, "What's in a Name?" 


I love the name Ms Scarlet and I wouldn't shorten it. I also see it as uniquely your own and nothing to do with that selfish child-woman Scarlet O'Hara from Gone with the Wind. My birth name is a bit old-fashioned for my generation that is filled with "Heathers" and "Jennifers".

My MIL knows how we feel. Being a twin, her sister got the fun, easy-going name and has had a lot of boyfriends and husbands taking her out to fine dining and shopping while my poor MIL just got the name "Beatrice." It's taken her over eighty years to scrub all documents emblazoned with this name. She went with something short and simple, but her out-sized personality makes it uniquely her own. I think perhaps we would be less quirky if we didn't have names that made us so determined to define ourselves differently. In my book, quirky is a good trait along with originality.

In the video below. All the dancers are wearing black and often dancing in sync and yet we see their originality in small details like their face, hair and moments of non-synced dancing.








I like to feel online like how this song makes me feel when I listen to it. Still part of a group, but original, nonetheless. Playful and maybe more than a bit mischievous, but not with the intent to cause any harm.

This video also reminds me of one of the funniest mistakes I've ever made. I was corresponding with a woman from the city permitting office by email and in response to a question I told her to "Just dance it off." I have no idea what I'd meant to say, but that wasn't it and autocorrect had clearly failed me. I apologized profusely and lucky for me she had a sense of humor, and all was well. 😅


In closing, "Roxy" is a good name for a fox, a donut, or a prostitute, which is preferable to being an uptight bitch. 😏

15 comments:

  1. Yep, the perfect name! Had I been a female, I would have loved the name Carmen or Gabrielle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always like Gabriel as a man's name. I think it's sexy. I have a childhood friend named Carmen, so I think well of the name.

      Delete
  2. I do like that tune!! And the dancers are definitely individuals who are part of a team! Quirky, indeed.
    My name has had a little bit of a resurgence in popularity in recent times and I wondered if this would help me like it a little more - it hasn't! My name is still ditchwater to my ear.
    Rox is quite good - there is strength and permanence in Rox, less flakey than Roxy. Just saying 😀.
    Tina might have suited me - it's not too out there, but nor is it plain and ferret like, and it could've been morphed to Tins - which I actually like!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S Thank you for writing such a considered response to my post!
      Sx

      Delete
    2. Also - I have something in common with your MIL - my sister got the good sexy French name, whereas I got the boring English one.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Of course, since you posted on Wordpress, it wanted to force me to use my other account to comment on your post directly and I try to keep these two accounts somewhat separate. I'd like to do something professional with my Wordpress account someday, whereas this is the "relax and lounge with friends space." I like "Rox!" I've always liked the name Vivianne shortened to "V" it sounds sexy and a little dangerous.

      Delete
  3. Those dancers are Fab! The song's pretty good, too.

    I couldn't think of any doughnut names so I had to look some up. "Pistachio Parade", "Nutty Chocolatta", and "Confetti Pop" caught my eye. "Lotus Biscoff", on the other hand (eye?) sounds more like a Bond villain than a prostitute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rawr, found your comment in the spam folder. Why does Blogger have to be so mean sometimes!

      I think my favorites of your list are "Confetti Pop" and "Lotus Biscoff" be they villain or not. There used to be an internet game back in the day where you added the first name of your first pet and the first street you lived on, which gives your stripper name. Mine is "Rusty Grace" which is pretty on par for me if I'm being honest. LOL

      Delete
  4. Never mind names. Never mind Tom Waits.

    That video of Bob Fosse-meets-Portugal the Man was frugging fantastic! Such campery - I may heave to (ahem) borrow it... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have at it dear! That song is an earworm and the dancing is so fun! I'm surprised I haven't seen it on Razzle Dazzle before!

      Delete
  5. I'm always interested in what people's names would be if they didn't have the name they've got. I'm John but when people forget it they call me Paul without fail which makes me wonder whether I am a Paul really.
    If you want to work on hexing US politicians drop me some names, there's a contact form on my blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the confusion of your name from John to Paul on The Beatles and The Mas and The Pas because back in the day women were either Susan or Mary and men were John or Paul. Ha,ha,ha. I think Ringo's parent must have been J.R.R. Tolkien nerds since his name means "Ring" in old English. Was the babytalk in Elvish? I wonder. LOL I've completely forgotten it, but a friend and I used to speak a little Elvish in high school just to make ourselves seem more mysterious than we were.

      Delete
    2. My given name? It's a straight up Deep South, dirt-eating, cousin-fuckin' trash name. I have never liked it. AAAAAGH this brings up stuff! I remember so many people telling me Oh, that's like Maybelline, or Billie Jo, or Bonnie Belle, or some country-western, goat-roping crap. I swore that I'd get it legally changed one day. Well, here I am in the future and I still have the Beverly Hillbillies name. There are more important things to spend my time and money on. But if I could choose my own, it would be something really offensively counterculture, like Revolution, Dare, Horizon, or Mr. Caterpillar. As for doughnuts? My favorite is The Old Fashioned. I'll take a buttermilk cruller if Old Fashioned is out on her corner flagging down cars.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I found your comments in the spam folder. Damn Blogger! I'm getting better at checking more often. We were sick for Thanksgiving and then last week when you commented, well...I have no idea where last week went. It came and went, what can I say? Oh, yes, now I remember. It was a sad week. I have to keep my shit together so I could help others with theirs.

      Delete