I don't know how many of you have Facebook, but it's the only place in which I have a Meta account, only because some very old friends that live in other countries still show up there. Over the
things I admit to buying...
A fluffy kiwi pillow
A shirt inspired by one of my favorite shows Firefly and the subsequent movie Serenity. I made sure to always have the shirt covered before picking my son up from primary school so I wouldn't get sent to the principal's office.
This is one of the last things I bought at JoAnn's before they went out of business thanks to yet another private equity firm that rapes everything good about a store and then sells off the remains to the highest bidder. They don't care about customers or employees. Will America ever wake up to the pandering of shareholders over the needs of the community, customers and employees? Doubtful.
------
Yesterday though, Fb recommended a discreet female "massager" to you know, increase your pelvic floor muscles, I guess. I don't know. That was surprising, but whatever.
Then TODAY, one of FB's sponsored ads was for an AI-generated book of Orc-Human erotica complete with book cover and um, excuse me while I go wash my eyeballs with something strong than water! What the actual fuck? I'm starting to get some serious "creepy Uncle" vibes from this "Sponsored content."
I really should just delete myself from FB. Ew, friggin' boundaries Meta, get you some!
Meanwhile my grocery store is morphing into one brand available for purchases, the store's own brand. What little is left offered of decades familiar brands like Kraft, Heinz, etc is being jacked up in price so you'll be incentivized to choose the store brand to save money. Amazon is starting to do this too, they've become what we call "Patent Trolls." They see what sells well in all departments then make a "generic version" of it and sell it as "Amazon Basics" there was a lawsuit filed about it, but it's gone quiet since Jeff Bezos contributed $$$$ to Trump's campaign. Now today at Home Depot, you have your choice of Miracle Gro products or Miracle products, or this other expensive bag of non-Miracle Gro product tucked in the corner of the shelf.
Somebody wake me up from this nightmare! 😭
We're looking at leaving the country and even Canada doesn't feel far enough away. I see a lot of YouTube channels where Brits are buying and fixing up big old mansions in France. How do the French feel about that? I'm sure a lot of places aren't interested in being flooded with Americans right now and I can't say I blame them. I also don't mind American products being boycotted by other countries either.
I hate F***book. I joined it for a year then left. I described it as like being in a crowded room with everybody shouting.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hate adverts. That is why I use Firefox browser with an ad-blocker, so I never see them, not even on YouTube. As for Amazon - if Bezos is a MAGA supporter, why is everything on his site made in China?!
Jx
As usual, it comes down to money. You can pay to have Trump look the other way, except when Amazon was about to add a line item showing the product cost increase due to the new tariffs. That got Jeffery in trouble, and they had to abandon the idea. I'm sure he sent a peacock or some other extravagant gift to Trump as an apologize for such a near oversight.
DeleteThe kiwi cushion is rather adorable, and I approve of the Firefly/Serenity t-shirt (big fan of both the series and film - in fact, the film is due a rewatch soon).
ReplyDeleteI used to be on FB hundreds of years ago, but left for similar reasons to how Jon described it. I will not use any Meta service now. Nor Amazon. And I'm not overly thrilled with Google either, but I can't give up the blog just yet!
I make sure to use it as less as possible, but until I have a way to replace the value I do get from it, I'll have to keep it, but with as minimal use as possible for now. This is how they get us. Any way they can get their hooks into our daily life. I hate to use Amazon, but sometimes I have no other choice, there are things I simply cannot get in my community anymore because there are hardly any small businesses left and the corporation that dominate our landscape shrug and say, "If we don't have it, you don't need it." You have Netflix right? I think you would love Legue of Legends: Arcane as much as I do. Not really a cup of tea for the rest of the Bloggerati I don't think. Also, some Black Mirror seasons are hit and miss, but the newest season is top notch and there is one about everything becoming a subscription based service that feels so accurate it's brutal. I think I cried in anger, sadness, and hate as it hit a little too close to home right now. My mom has a device in her head that helps her function daily and the medical corporation that owns the device keeps coming up with new "convenience services" that should be a human rights violation. Google was at the forefront of this AI mess, but I agree, until we can find a better solution what else is there?
DeleteI do have Netflix and keep seeing League of Legends: Arcane on the home screen so it's on my radar. I'm re-watching Pushing Daisies (on DVD) and Ghosts at the mo, though, so maybe when I've finished one of them I'll give it a go.
DeleteI stopped watching Black Mirror some years ago as it was too bleak and dystopian (and prophetic!) for me. I think the last one I watched was about getting 'likes' for pretty much EVERYTHING in life and starred Bryce Dallas Howard. Either that or USS Callister.
Actually, I have a confession to make: I do use Amazon occasionally. My mum has Amazon Prime and I use it now and again to watch something that I just can't see anywhere else.
Your mum's situation sounds just like that Black Mirror episode - that's really scary.
ReplyDeleteI gave up FB a couple of years ago - what killed it for me for everything being out of order and repetitive. I'm glad I gave it up. I still have Instagram, but I'm on the cusp of deleting all of that as well. I try to avoid Amazon, but occasionally I have nowhere else to go.
I like the Kiwi cushion, too!! Maybe it's telling us all to move to New Zealand to stay with Dinah?!
Sx
Yes, not quite at bad yet, but yeah, watching that made me cry.
DeleteNever did f*ckbook since they stole our addresses : They acted dishonestly, and Zuckerzwerg is the boss. So that's it.
ReplyDeleteDevilish demon sex ? Goodness ...
If you think seriously about emigrating / leaving Trumpistan (at least for some years), think twice. Brits for ages moved to Spain into pretty large houses etc. - many of them stay among themselves, in a way they always stay visitors.
There are these villages in Italy where you can buy a house for one €, there are some legal hoops & loops that must be taken care of. Similar offers were made at least some years ago, when I looked for something like that, in Northern Spain / Golf von Biskaya.
All this is very rural, you need your neighbours, one has to blend in. One comes into a different country, a different society, a different cultural environment. I know that you can cope with this, but can those around you too ? Totally different thing when you have kids, school etc. Of course it is possible. Here in this house live families from India to Poland, they stay here, even Saxons.
What I forgot to mention about ad-free browsing : For ages I used firefox with privacy badger and ghostery. But nowadays good old foxy feels a bit used around the edges. (article)
DeleteI use brave browser. It is excellent, as long as you do not switch on the crypto things, I also avoided the AI section : Both, crypto and AI, are devil's pee in my regard, so I do not touch this with the proverbial pole.
The browser itself kills all advertisement, unwanted crap shown like "This website wants to sent an infoletter to you - agree ?", trackers etcetc. I did not install additional stuff. For me it works fine. You can give it a try and look how f*ckbook looks with it.
We are all adaptable, good-natured and make friends everywhere we go.
DeleteMy son is 15. When young men turn 18 they are required to register for Selective Service and subject to being drafted for war. I grew up in the aftermath of the Vietnam war. I have often advocated that Selective Service should be abolished or that it should be for all, regardless of gender. Why are only young men expendable? I see how the Trump administration is using our service members I can see what's coming. It's never the President or the Senators sons' that get drafted.
I’ve got pointy ears
ReplyDeleteI’ve got pointy ears
ReplyDeleteIf I'm not mistaken, isn't Jon the one who gets to nibble on your pointy elven ears? Lucky, lucky!
DeleteI was kicked off Facewhore lo these many years gone by because I went on about Brian Johnsons' diamond cutters (I mean shit; excitable boy they all said; the man gets THO's every time his blood pressure goes above resting. It's distracting as hell when you're trying to watch some AC/DC and those things are popping on and off etc. etc.) I do not miss it, although Facefuck Marketplace is occasionally useful. I too am a sucker (!!!!!) for those pointy ears - and green blood, and a pudding basin haircut, and half human half Vulcan ancestry. Back off he's mine.
ReplyDeleteThe Biker and I had been discussing moving to another country for years. We moved to Idaho instead, which is like another country, but is not nearly as discriminating as another actual country would be about choosing which yahoos to let into the joint. All Idaho wants is for the check to clear. Now. Contact me and we'll discuss this shit, and other shit if it comes up. Any old shit. You know.
I got kicked off Facewhore for describing Brian Johnsons nipples. True fact. Brian Johnson of ACDC. His. THEN Fakebook wanted me to re-join! And kept sending me little notices asking me please, please re-join! It's easy! But yet refused to delete my original account - even though they refused to let me back into it!! No, no no, I might change my mind later, so they'd just 'hold it for me'.
ReplyDeleteNope. You couldn't pay me enough to re-up.
I was kicked off Facebook for discussing Brian Johnsons' nipples. I do not tell a lie.
ReplyDeleteAck, I'm sorry! Blogger was being a b*tch and put you in purgatory ala comments needed moderating and I've got a chum bucket full of excuses for my absence these last few weeks, of course.
DeleteI'm with you on all of it my Friend, spot on. I'm getting some strange Meta Verse vibes off what they think is my Jam too. Lots of Americans, including Self, are fantasizing about bailing if this Political Fuckery is going to be permanently installed and we cease to be a Democracy run by Adults. I've thought of the Mexican Riviera myself since The Daughter spent Two Decades South of the Border and has many contacts there and speaks fluent Spanish. But, The Man is Medically Fragile and taking this Show on the Road even for a vacay is tough so I doubt a full on International Relocation is possible and will stay on the Canvas of my Imagination therefore. But, I wouldn't blame all the Young People from getting out while they still can. I have an American Friend in the Industry who bought a Chateau in France, came with the entire contents of Antiques and since he's an Antiquities Dealer... and Gay... I wouldn't be Surprised if he and his Husband bought it as a default property to escape to should America totally go Off Rails and threaten them due to their Sexual Orientation... this Regime is trying to take us back to Draconian Times where only the Rich and White Men had Rights and the rest were oppressed and exploited.
ReplyDelete