Let's Pretend to be Happy


Trump as Marie Antoinette [AI Generated]


Wow, what a great country to live in where the president shares an AI video of himself literally shit-bombing the American people after a record-breaking 4 million strong protest! Embarrassing, really freaking embarrassing! It did my heart good to see pictures of and hear about solidarity protests in other countries like Britian, Germany, Canada and Brazil!


Then on the eve of 42 million Americans losing SUPPLEMENTAL NUTITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP) benefits, many of whom are working poor, yes, many work full-time, some even work multiple jobs to make ends meet! Trump & Co. had a Great Gatsby party! They really don't care. They think it's funny.


####



With every protest I learn to make a bigger and better sign. Two sides of the latest one.



They tried to call the No Kings Oct. 18th protest a "Hate America" protest, but that couldn't be farther from the truth! We hate what the Trump Administration is doing to America!!!!

###



Okay, enough about that! I went to one of my favorite places to be distracted. Originally, I went because I saw on their website that they had a funny "German Luck door" for $15.00, which seemed reasonable, but alas! It was made of plastic, not iron, not even wood! So, I just took pictures of it for you and some other pictures for your viewing pleasure, to take you along with me. (Inspired by Ms Nations, of course!)

I was thinking about all of you, trying to imagine what you might say and what might strike your fancy. If I haven't said so before, Your friendship means the world to me! I really love this group!

I'm trying to convince my son to do university in Germany after he graduates from HS and to just stay there, anywhere else in the world, but here. What scares me most is that he turns 18 in 2028 and will be required to register for Selective Service, which means if this psychotic administration tried to initiate a draft for military service, he would be prime picking.

Shit! Here's those pictures I was talking about! Back to a nicer topic...





This large ornate piece appears to go over something, but I'm not sure what. A sideboard? A church something, something?





Some old British fellows. I forgot who the tag said they were. I was just so disappointed that the grey-haired fellow was not John Cleese as some character.







Look out guys, he's a Topper!








Drinking accruements. What are we drinking?





I'll never forget the sad tale of Norell Hardy having to go on stage right after learning of the death of his infant son who was sick with some kind of cold or flu. They told him that he didn't have to go on, but he said he would and give the best performance of his life because his little guy was watching from upstairs (in Heaven). RIP, Sir.






A vintage sausage maker.
(Somewhere within all of us lives the humor of a 13-yo boy.)






I was really tempted to get one of these scales. Reminds me of the childish days I used to fantasize about being an old-timey shopkeeper.





And finally....




This is the thing that brought me out to the salvage store. I'm not mad, only disappointed that it wasn't $15 and made of wood.

Mago can give us a proper translation, but it's something like
 "Knock upon this door and wish for good luck"

and this is what you get.






It looks like he's got a balloon coming out of his butt, but it's a German penny (or equivalent.)


Ta-ta for now!


14 comments:

  1. Are the British fellows Toby Jugs?
    I think there were even some supporting protests in Devon, but I didn't hear about them until I heard about them on the local news. I love your enormous signs!
    I think the German horseshoe is upside down - it's letting all the luck run out in it's current position!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Growing up as a rural girl I was suspicious of the upside-down horseshoe frame! Sometimes the finer elements of satire and parody get lost when it travels across the pond, so I'm glad I got a picture of it to ask about.

      Delete
  2. A little luck / a little money / what else does one need / on this world.
    It's a Geldscheißer, he literally shits out money. The idea that money equals crap may originate in the late medieval times, when money all of a sudden was all the rage - when the older forms of trade, exchange, were replaced by the developing "Geldwirtschaft", when all slowly but steadily was based on money.
    The thing is mounted within a horse shoe - but the horse shoe is wrong "sided", with the open side downwards : All the luck will fall out ! So do not touch this "thing", it will bring more harm than good.

    I think the large wooden "Möbel" was a top-part of something larger, maybe a kind of "Credenz", but I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thank Mister Mago. I knew you could some interesting insight on this strange thing! Based on your comments, I'm glad I trusted my gut and did not buy it even for the sake of novelty! From my research on why societies collapse there is a strong correlation with money being given too high a value over the practical things needed for the basics of food, water, shelter. When the screw is twisted to far in favor of the currency over the practical needs, revolt and failure of a functional society happens. Many educated people have been talking about the U.S. resembling the early days of the Fall of Roman Empire. I wonder if that's one of the reasons this administration is attacking higher education. Those "liberal cesspools of free thought."

      Delete
  3. Oooh! A rummage through an antiques market - right up my street...

    I love that massive cabinet thingy, but what kind of house must it have come from? Huge!

    As for the Royal Doulton character jugs, I actually inherited "Mine Host" (the one on the left in the photo, with the exploding beer-barrel for a handle). It's in a box under the bed. The other one is apparently "The Complete Angler".

    The German horseshoe leaves me cold, whether it were wood or plastic, tbh.

    Keep up the "show-and-tell", my dear. It's always fascinating. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're insightful as ever, Jon! I'll look up Royal Doulton jugs! This place calls itself an "Architectural Salvage center" so a lot of the bigger items do come from churches, schools, old banks and such. It seems to ornate for a school, but maybe an old church or bank or former "Man of Industry" mansion, (like a Railroad or Lumber Baron).

      It is fun to look at other people's stuff isn't it? I like to keep a tidy house, not a lot of clutter, so creeping about in an over-stuffed store full of other people's crap is, I suppose, my way of slumming it. LOL

      I'm glad that we're all in agreement so far that it is best that Mister Money-pooper stayed where it is.

      Delete
  4. First, BIG OLE HUGS FOR YOU, because we're bloggers, sweetpea, and our community is FANTASTIC! I know what you mean about hoping your boy goes overseas and away from the cabal of vulgarians currently in power. I told the MITM earlier that for the first time since you-know-who took office, I feel hopeful that the4re truly more of us than there are of them and we will survive this pestilence. Finally, I haven't unpacked all of our treasure from Savannah, so even looking in the thrifts/charity/secondhand shops is off limits, so I'm enjoying this post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Ole Hugs right back at you, Savannah! Thank you! I agree, if someone else goes and takes pictures at such a tempting shop, we can enjoy the curation of photos without losing our wallets! LOL I hope you're right about how many are against him, but "if wishes were fishes" as they say we'd all be fat and happy.

      Delete
  5. Marie Antoinette said “ let them eat cake ! ”
    Trump says “ let them eat shit !! ”
    Things didn’t end well for Marie Antoinette, and same will be for Trump.
    Rex in DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Rex! Indeed! What an utterly disgraceful president! I'm genuinely embarrassed that such a person is supposed to represent the U.S. in the eyes of the world. I'm willing to support bringing back the guillotine for certain heads of state.

      Delete
  6. I was just thinking this morning about how great this circle is! Coolest ever!
    I LOVE the trawl though the salvage place. That piece might have been from an old fraternal lodge or something, like Sons of Finland? You could keep a lot of cornflakes in that thing. Dang.
    My German grandmother swore by the horseshoe above the threshold and wouldn't go near one hung upside down. Her husband added several huge fishhooks in the lintel, and a doodlebug. My parents always had a horseshoe and a fishhook. My mom added a St. Christopher holy water stoup. Me, I always have a horseshoe. You never move house with one. It has to have nails in it. Has to hang horns up. I do not know what this is about, but it jist doesn't feel like home without one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For sure! My Great Aunt and Uncle used to have an Antique/Junk shop out by Olympia back in the 50's. I loved them so much and going to their house that still looked like an antique junk shop was such an adventure as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm way behind in Blog Reads but this was an excellent Post worth arriving late to the Party to. The Marie Antoinette Moment is coming. Another Blog Friend recently quoted RFK: Those that make Peaceful Revolution Impossible make Violent Revolution Inevitable. This Cabal of Vulgarians with it's Demented Idiot in Chief isn't wise enuf to realize they're flirting with a Violent Revolution being inevitable for America... and, let's face it, most households own Guns, plural. I'd rather a Peaceful Revolution but it's proving to be ineffective thus far, the Bro-Oligarchy isn't taking us Seriously... hence their AI poor taste jokes that are a National Embarrassment. Donnie Two Dolls now announced that Veterans and the Homeless will be disqualified from receiving SNAP benefits. He really could care less if people eat at all or receive Healthcare... so long as he and his elite can throw lavish parties on the Taxpayer's Dime, I think personally they are looting all these Programs and there isn't the Money there to cover Recipients... the only waste and fraud is going on from the Top, not the Bottom. It was a nice Distraction to go Chazza Shopping with you tho'. Hope your Thanksgiving was Memorable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do love a good rummage.
    The German horse shoes are up side down by the way, all the Luck will fall out and that poor boy seems to have very large orange Piles.

    ReplyDelete