Happy Boxing Day!

 Seeing as how I'm in the last time zone on the planet to bid farewell to any given day, I've come in the nick of time to wish you all a fabulous boxing day!


Yes, this is the first thing that always comes to my mind, even though I know this isn't what the day is really about. Seems weird to me to promptly wake up the next day and say, "Well Christmas is over, let's put it all away!" I'll probably do mine on Wednesday.






This is the kind of song I imagine British people would sing to their Christmas trees as they take everything off and toss it out of the house with the rubbish, as you say. Bwhahaha 💘



 


12 comments:

  1. Happy 27th December!!! I was always confused by the 'boxing' part of Boxing Day - it's more of a sloth and nibbles day. Anyhow, I hope you're having a lovely Christmas!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Scarlet! I did, I hope yours was nice too!
      I guess because putting things away involves boxes? Well, it does sound like a nice cat holiday. This whole week shall be spent in sloth form. We even got snow and super freezing temperatures that insist we stay huddled inside. 12 degrees! A great Raven came to warn me the day before Christmas and I prepared a variety of hidey holes for the critters and warm sugar water for the hummingbirds. I use handwarmers to keep it from freezing and bring it in at night. They mob me as soon as I step out first thing in the morning to hang it. I'll never get used to being mobbed by tiny birds. Chickadees are so much more polite.

      Delete
  2. Oops! Happy 30th December! Boxing Day is, as Ms Scarlet said, a sloth and nibbles day. No one (except those freakishly organised robot people) can be arsed to put Christmas away until at least early January.

    I'm rather fascinated about your hummingbird comment. I'd never imagined hummingbirds to stick around when it gets cold - I just assumed they flew south for winter, or hibernated, or something. How fortunate the ones in your neck of the woods have you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your in luck! As you'll see on my other blog I posted a pic of my hummingbird feeder in winter. We get Anna's Hummingbirds. They are small but impressively mighty birds, and sassy! https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Annas_Hummingbird/id

      I'm glad slothing about is still the order of business.

      Delete
  3. Boxing day is the day one gives gifts to the servants in boxes. They don't get them before because they have been busy in ones kitchen and you can decide what to give them depending on what faces they've pulled on the 25th!
    Happy, er, new year's eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I see my comment suggests the servants are themselves in boxes, but that's BDSM.

      Delete
    2. Really? Sounds rather Downton Abbey like. Hard to believe history like that wasn't make believe.

      I'm trying to imagine myself as a house servant and all I know is that I would still end up in the Master's bed. My flexible, er, morals probably would have something to do with that.

      Delete
  4. Oops - Happy New Year's Eve...

    We never get Xmas out, let alone have anything to put away (apart from food). We never even did our traditional "solitary-humbug-on-a-string" this year, as we're now having no visitors.

    Jx

    PS Hummingbirds in December! Or indeed at any time. The most we get are blue tits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lived in Canada you'd have blue tits.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha Jon and Mistress, We get Bushtits in the winter too. Since this area is famous for dressing in many layers, we rarely get blue tits around here. One funny hillbilly saying we have is, "It's colder than a Witch's tit in a brass bra!"

      I don't know why the bra is brass, but really, wearing any metal bra in below freezing temperatures would be cold....without a bunch of layers.

      Jon, Do you have an easy to find picture of the "Humbug-on-a-string"? It sounds cute. One of the reasons we tried for a child was to make the holidays fun again. We found it harder to celebrate things like Christmas as an adult, but when you have a kid(s) around their enthusiasm rubs off on you.

      Delete
    3. I trawled back through my blogs, but couldn't find any pics of the annual humbug (not that it is particularly impressive, being basically a stripey boiled sweet on a length of cotton suspended from the ceiling, or sometimes our weeping fig)... Jx

      PS a similar phrase over here is "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"!

      Delete
    4. Jon, That's funny! Talk of brass monkey balls and strings of hard candy. What a way to end this year! Hahaha

      Delete