That time I joined the Gypsies

 


They came with the carnival. A family of gypsies, a girl of my own age among them. We were inseparable at first sight. She helped me push boundaries I was afraid to do alone. I stayed with them day and night for weeks until one day the carnival was gone. They were gone.

The house where we had laughed, played music and slept was vacant. Through the windows I saw only bare floors covered in years of dust.

Maybe someday, they'll let me open the door again.

4 comments:

  1. Heavens. Was Cher there, too? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, no it was nothing like Cher's song!

      It was just a weeks' long party of music and storytelling.

      Delete
  2. Happy memories. Can you remember any of the stories?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Scarlet,
      None that they told me, but the girl I was hanging out with met this guy (presumably while I was at school) that would drive us around wherever we wanted to go. He didn't talk much, but he was cute and seemed nice enough. What's funny though is that he had a real thing for knives! I'm quite fond of sharp steely bits myself, but this man was wearing knives strapped all over him! One on his ankle, one on an arm, several around his waist on a custom-made utility belt. I imagined it must've take him five minutes just to put all his blades on in the morning or take them off at the end of the day. He was clearly smitten with Josie but I doubt she ever slept with him. He was our attractive, quirky, temporary driving thrall with a rusted Ford Bronco SUV, top cut off and it had no doors so we could just hope right in and out. (Think of a large Jeep-type vehicle).

      Delete