The Wanton Vampire - 1994
Just about everyone seemed to want to be a vampire after Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire came out starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. One of my favorite local haunts at the time was a coffee shop in an old brick building near the river's edge. Few people knew about the alternative offerings in the basement, which at this point changed from part-time hookah lounge to blood bar. I rarely visited whatever underground fantasies lurked down there during the business's short existence, only aware of them.
One night hanging out with my besties while drinking coffee a guy came up from the basement. I didn't see him first because I was focused on what a friend was saying. She immediately stopped and got this look of an angry cat about her. Just sudden sheer hatred. I was surprised and intrigued. This friend had the worst taste in men! No good judgement whatsoever yet here she was reviled by one. The whole table, actually. All three were suddenly enclosing me and facing this guy with open hostility.
I'm usually the guard, not the guarded. I've always been the protector and matriarch of our friends' group and subculture scene. He was bold; completely unflustered by my friends' demeanor and focused intensely on me and nothing else. He tried to extend a hand towards me, but my briar roses weren't having it. He said he could smell I had a rare blood type and invited me to join him downstairs.
Romantic, eh? Say that to all the girls do you? I thought to myself. It's true I have a rare blood type, less than 2% of the world's population have it. Should I bleed out only my mother or son could save me but, in an era, when everyone suddenly wants to be a vampire, I doubt this guy could "smell it."
"It's true I have a rare blood type, but you'll never know the pleasure of it. Best you be on your way now." I said. I brought attention to the room, as if the lights suddenly got much brighter. Everyone was standing around him leaving only a path to the main door. Even the counter staff stood there surly and ready to fight.
The moment he left everyone went back to normal as if nothing happened.
The Shop That Wasn't There - 1991
During High School I took off-campus classes that required me to take a city bus. It was in one of the roughest parts of town. Most of the stores in this part of the city had been boarded up for years. Old newspaper and kraft paper blanketed storefront window after storefront window until one night a lovely little hippie shop seemed to have suddenly occupied one of them. It looked bright and cheery inside. Crystals, gemstones and dreamcatchers hung from the windows and walls. Tarot card sets, books, scarves, and whatever else you would expect to find in a hippie/spiritual store.
I was going through a lot at the time. A friend had been murdered, I'd been banished from the church I'd been a part of since I was nine and my parents were unavailable. I pulled the cord for the next stop and walked back to take a look in the shop although I had very little money.
Inside was a blonde lady in her forties who greeted me as I came in and looked around. We started talking. We had a fascinating conversation about how religion and authority were used to oppress women. I'd said nothing about my church banishment or fight with the Sheriff but I was real interested in what she had to say. I stayed for quite awhile. Maybe hours? It was dark when I left. I think I must have caught one of the last buses home. Before leaving she insisted I take something with me. She'd give me a real nice discount to make it affordable, within reason of course. I knew she was luring me to a particular case. I knew she wanted me to pick a particular crystal from said case, but I was doubtful of her motivations. I knew I was being tested and I don't like it. Something about her was darkened, suspicious. She wasn't being honest with me and I wasn't certain if she was friend or foe.
My life could change in this moment. Did I want it to change? I was scared. I feel the crystal in question but refused to even touch it and only watched it from my peripheral and not straight on. I felt like I would be a pawn in someone else's game. Something much larger than me would take over. So I chose the ugliest of disco ball cut-glass crystal you've ever seen. Hideous thing. The woman was so disappointed. Was I sure? Did I want to change my mind? No, my life is my own, whatever it may be.
The next day the bus passed by the same old papered up store fronts. Including the one the hippie shop had been in. After classes I waited, pulled the cord for the same stop as the day before walked back to where the shop had been but it was as if it had never been. Whenever I doubt it was real I pull out the disco ball of cut crystal to prove that it was.
*I can't currently find the damn thing! It's hiding somewhere in this mess.
Breathe In, Breathe Out - 1996
There's a venue in the middle of Washington State called The Gorge Ampitheater. That section of the state is barren with beautiful sharp red rock jutting up into the blue sky with the Columbia River cutting through a mini-Grand Canyon that is no less impressive. It gets really hot and one has to watch their step if they don't want to die of a Rattlesnake bite. It's in this setting that intrepid teens and 20-somethings venture here to the middle of nowhere to attend such concerts as Lollapalooza in barely functioning automobiles and forced to pay $5 for a bottle of water or risk heat exhaustion.
This particular concert was not a Lollapalooza, but it did involve three bands at the height of their popularity: Bush, No Doubt, and Goo Goo Dolls. I was there with my least favorite boyfriend particularly to see Bush play. Having lost said loser boyfriend off in the background with his wandering eye set on a pair of twins in Diasy duke short shorts I proceeded to the pit near the front of the stage.
At 5'8" (177cm?) and with an athletic build I was no easy push over, but as the crowd surged forward at the first few guitar strokes of their most popular song, Machinehead, I was quickly in jeopardy of losing my footing when a long lean arm wearing a hematite bracelet snake around from behind me and grab me at the waist pulling me into a tall sturdy bare chest. Normally I'd give someone an earful at suddenly making themselves so familiar with my person with the threat of evisceration, but he'd done me a kindness bringing me into his protective bubble. I didn't know how to do such a thing and it was strange to suddenly feel as if it were just the two of us, the band singing, and the rest of the crowd faded into a distant blur at the edge of my vision.
I relaxed and let myself enjoy the moment. I planted my bare feet within his inner soles and leaned back into him as we became one tree wrapped of outer and inner bark. When the song ended, he instantly disappeared in the crowd. I should've been able to see a tall guy walking away from me. I know he had blonde hair at shoulder length because right before he left, he leaned over my head to kiss me on top of my forehead and his hair hung in front of my eyes. I'll always be grateful for that experience.

Is it Hallowe'en already?! Spooky stories... Jx
ReplyDeleteHi Jon! No, no, it's not October yet. I just live spooky all year round. :) Thank you for stopping by!
DeleteOh my word - the lost ugly crystal - you know what's going to happen, don't you - you'll be sorting through the mess and you will get a glimpse of glinting glass from beneath a stack of papers - you'll reach out for it and hold it between your fingers, and then the horror will begin when you realise that instead of the ugly disco ball, you are actually holding the crystal that the blonde lady wanted you to choose all along....
ReplyDeleteSx
Ooh Ms Scarlet! Way to make with an interesting plot twist! Surely, I'm too old now to be taken for such mysterious shenanigans. I should have asked you all the question though; Would you have chosen the "special crystal" or done as I did?
DeleteLook back now I think of it as one of those "Sliding Doors" moments, you know the movie with Gwenneth Paltrow where her life changes depending on whether she caught the tram home after being fired or not? We recently re-watched.
I know what you mean about being manipulated into choosing something, so like you I may have deliberately chosen something completely different. I like to think I have free will!
DeleteSx
OOO damn plot twist by Scarlet! Like the original storty didn't creep me out enough.
DeleteYou know what it's funny but all three of these stories contain scenarios that continue to be difficult for me, and were even more so when I was younger. Socialising and the offbeat or cool were always difficult until I took it in hand and became offbeat.
ReplyDeleteSo what I would have done in the shop when I was younger was run away after making my excuses. Similarly you would never have got me near vampires and the idea of concerts in prominent venues makes me want to scream.
I would probably still avoid those two. In the hippie shop I'm very impressed with what you did - doing what you wanted - a witchy thing to do if ever there was!
Aw, Thanks Hound! I can't say I go looking for trouble intentionally, but I am a curious person and even if I don't go looking for it, it just seems to find me anyways. My hometown is a strange place, you either learn to grown within the fire or die by it. I like to think of it as going through a transformation similar to that of a Samurai sword which is heated, hammered and folded nineteen times to make strong, sharp and balanced. I'll choose how my trauma defines me, Thank you very much.
DeleteMy vote for Most Excellent Post '23 hands down. Proxima, I'd love to meet you in person. We have shit to talk about, lady.
DeleteHa! Thank you! It would be fun to meet you too! Maybe we can meet halfway, like lunch at the Calico Cupboard in Mount Vernon and walk the promenade? My email is on my other site.
DeleteYou have an other site? *scrambling*
DeleteI got your email but deleted the comment so you don't have to worry about it lurking here. I'll try to email you later today. :)
DeleteVery spooky stories...Dawn... the Bohemian
ReplyDeleteSometimes life is stranger than fiction. I have a friend that says I make going to the grocery store epic. Hahaha
DeleteInterview with the vampire, was a really good film, a quality film, that was the first of another similar and desafortunated copies. Only this film was really good. And fortunately it was complete ficción. Is good to see quality films from Hollywood when they made It.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by! It wasn't my favorite movie, but I liked it.
DeleteSuch peculiar experiences. Apart from "Breathe In, Breathe Out" perhaps, I should think they're better to look back on than they were at the time?
ReplyDelete"The Shop That Wasn't There" is the most disconcerting to me - or it would have been to young me. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have taken the offered crystal, but who knows? Of course, if it happened now, I'd take the crystal or whatever was 'pushed' (I wouldn't touch it though - I'd have the proprietor pop it in a bag or box or something) and find a cess pit or sewerage works to fling it in. Was the woman wearing gloves, do you recall?
(Reminds of tabernae vagantes - the wandering shops from Discworld)
She didn't wear gloves. She never looked at it directly, picked it up, or mentioned it; it was all in her body language that told me "this one is special". It was the way she put her hands atop the display case on either side as if to centered it below her, part offer and part challenge. It was a natural looking crystal, a shard that reminded me of the shard from the Dark Crystal. I didn't take because I knew I wasn't ready. Ready for what? I don't know. (Picture me shrugging my shoulders because I honestly haven't got a clue. Maybe I'm not as intelligent and powerful as they thought I could be.)
Delete