Random Thoughts
How the British say the word Schedule
I don't like the British way of saying the word "schedule." I can't even pronounce it that way! I honestly have no idea why I find it so grating. Some people hate the word "moist" or nails on a chalkboard, but for me, it's a British man saying "schedule." That's weird, right?
AI Bots
When I did a Microsoft Bing search the other day the ChatGPT bot (whose assistance I didn't ask for) responded with, "I'm sorry to hear that. Here's the information about..." and I thought to myself. "I don't need sympathy from a robot!"
Favorite YouTube channels - A Sampling
Lost in the Pond - Laurence is a British fellow who lives in Chicago and likes to entertain his audience with the differences and similarities between the US and UK among other observations. He does so with research making his videos both funny and insightful.
Why American English is Highly Misunderstood
DamiLee - Dami is an Architect that explores the pop culture influence on architecture, or maybe it's the other way around? Another fascinating, fun channel where I learn a lot.
SolarPunk Cities: Our Last Hope?
PBS Terra
FirstNations, you need to see this one specifically! Maybe we should design rebel patterns to avoid assimilation!
What if Our Clothes Could Disrupt Surveillance Cameras?
Nature on PBS
Vertical gardens in London! Not gonna lie, kinda crushing on Alastair here. Nature is my love language.
Can Vertical Meadows Bring Wildlife Back to the Cities?
Listening and Watching
I love soundtracks especially by Bear McCreary and Ramini Djawadi. We don't have Starz and we were busy with a young child and other stuff so I'm just now discovering the soundtrack and show. The show ran from 2014-2018. Not the best show ever, but it's good! I'm crushing on the terribly naughty Captain Charles Vane and also a prostitute named Max (short for Maxine, who has a thing for softening up independent women for her own pleasure.)
Blue-Eyed Samurai on Netflix (NSFW Trailer)
Very good!
Read/ing
Coyote America: A Natural & Supernatural History By Dan Flores (Finished)
The war on coyotes in this country was and, in some ways, still is deplorable. A fascinating read.
Wheel of Life: A Memoir of Living and Dying By Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (Halfway Through)
In the very first chapter you learn that some men were so threatened by her views and research into death and dying that they burned down her fucking house! I had no idea! It wasn't so much her views really, but the fact that she had intended to adopt children with AIDs during the 1980's AIDs epidemic in an effort to give them a good life for however long they might live it.
Whiteout: A Nick Ventner Adventure By Ashton Macaulay (Finished)
I met the author at an Independent Author's night this summer at a local bookstore. It's a classic pulp style story that includes an abominable snowman and the lost city of Shangri-La. It was a fun read and I sent it off for my stepbrother to enjoy.
I've read a bunch of other stuff too, but I've got a head full of goo and those are the only ones that rose to the surface from the head cold I'm currently suffering.


Oh,well, now I'm going to have to squeeze more hours into my day in order to watch all the video channels! Lost in the Pond is my favourite, so far - insightful AND amusing. And I was getting quite into the Solarpunk Cities and vertical meadows in London.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I dislike saying "schedule" either the British or American way. "Agenda" or "timetable" are my preferred synonyms.
P.P.S. I hope your head-goo clears out soon if it hasn't already. Blaaaaargh.
Thank you IDV! There's no expectation that anyone has to follow every link, only the ones that they think might interest them!
ReplyDeleteI still love British accents of course! I like to think I can detect the difference in British accents better than most Americans, but I can't always say exactly where in Britian they're from. My region is known for being "slow talkers" we carefully consider our words with polite pauses for others in the conversation to inject. New York it the opposite, they pepper you with a machine gun assault of fast and furious words. You have to force your opinion into the conversation if you want it heard. I find it exhausting. I think some of it stems from different lifestyles, we have more space and less people here, so we don't feel any psychological need to talk over each other. Sometimes other Americans mistake us for Canadians!. LOL
I've seen Lost in the Pond! Sometimes I feel bad for that guy. Like when he and his wife went to a Lowes to buy household stuff. Nobody from Parts Foreign should have to contend with Lowes. As for anti-surveillance fashion, take a look at Dazzle Makeup. This has been going on since the first high - surveillance districts came into being. Just think - go into a party area in a Mondrian Mini with a face full of Dazzle and watch all the cameras explode! V FOR VENDETTA!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll check it out! I did a short stint in a T-shirt Screenprinting factory in the 90s and glitter shirts were all the rage especially in Teaxs. I was the finisher on the "Glitter line" and you know, glitter, so after work I'd go to Raves and sparkle. I think if I ever get autopsied, they might find a pound of glitter in my lungs.
DeleteLOL the way Americans and Canadians say parmesan has a similar effect on me, so we're both weird.
ReplyDeleteThat's hilarious! I'm glad I'm not alone in my weird word abrasions! Now I'll have to make a coffee date with Leslie and make her say the word because I don't know how it's different!
DeleteSHED YOOOOOOOOOOOL
ReplyDeleteAre you lookin' for a fight? You know we got plenty of mud around here, but it's cold! At least wait until March!
DeleteI pronounce it 'sked u l' with 3 syllables the American way, my form teacher would have been appalled, he used to keep a tobacco tin full of chalk bits, if we said anything American, like 'Yeah' instead of 'Yes' 'Truck' instead of 'lorry' he would rush over to his tin and pelt us with it. I also pronounce 'Scone' the American way, to rhyme with stone and not Sconn.
ReplyDeleteWell, of course, I approve Mitzi! If only I could throw that chalk back at the teacher! There are many British words or way of saying things that I find endearing but that is a long list.
Delete