Step Aside, Love.

➼

On my last post I confessed my dislike for the word "schedule" as spoken with a British inflection, but now I need to hear a British person say "Parmesan" because, The Hound doesn't like the way we say it here in North America.

The list is long on what I do love about how the British use their words! My Favorite is probably when a British person calls me "Love." There's a lot of things they can call me, but a nice pleasant, "Step aside, Love." can make this American girl a bit twitterpated.




What's funny is when a former British coworker, by way of what I presume was flirting said, "My god! Your eyes! The swirl of greens and blues with halos of gold around the irises, that would have gotten you thrown into a well for being a witch back in the old Irish days! 

Uhm, Thanks? I guess? 

My humor is a bit on the dark side, but it's not a good place to start when flirting with someone you've just barely met.





-----------




We finished watching Black Sails and this great still image captures our three favorite characters. I was crushing pretty hard on Captain Charles Vane (Center), much to the amusement of Mister Prox Blue. We agreed that in the end we and our relationship was not so much unlike that of Jack and Anne on the ends, who were at the heart of their relationship first and foremost devoted friends, lovers and family. The likes of what one creates in what is often a cruel and sometimes violent world.




Anne is Captain Vane's most trusted Vanguard. One of the first pirates to sneak aboard and start slitting throats, as needed, quietly and quickly. Jack is a tactician. He stays at the captain's side out of harm's way devising escape routes and ways to recall the Vanguard back safely, because he wants Anne back safely, but you don't tell a woman like that how to do her job. You steer her to safe harbor and avoid looking at the body count that follows. ❤

Also, the costumes were great! I always pay attention to the music and the costuming of shows and movies. I think a lot of people fail to appreciate how all the little details come together to put you in a sense of place. As a teenager, I did have a moment where I was strongly tempted to runoff of to LA! Not to become an actor like most people desire, but to apprentice as a costumer or set designer.


This jaunty song from the show ties in nicely to my continued research on Medieval Europe for my short stories that I've gone back to working on while stacking up the rejection letters for jobs. Ah well, maybe I can stack up book publishing rejections with job rejections for variety?







Until then friends, row row, row your little boat and may you find yourself in calm waters!












7 comments:

  1. Avast behind! Jx

    NB that's a funny phrase to us Brits, btw, as "behind" over here is a euphemism for "arse" (or "ass" as you Yanks spell it)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay or not I've noticed the British do seem to have a fascination for arses/asses! My first impressions of the UK was formed in the mid-to-late 1980s mind you. The only exposure came mostly by way of Monty Python and Absolutely Fabulous. Britian seemed really bizarre to me as a kid! I wasn't sure what to make of the humor and the men seemed to like being spanked a lot and had weird issues with their mothers. That was my full impression of the UK for a long time! I come from a family of alcoholics, so the antics of heavy drinkers was relatable. Pretty sad really.

      Delete
    2. Don't be sad for us, dear Melanie! The US gave us far more tawdry stuff, courtesy of the likes of Donny and Marie, Dick Van Dyke and their smarmy ilk, and endless sitcoms with bad punchlines and stupidly OTT canned laughter. I'll take Monty Python over Happy Days, any time. Jx

      Delete
    3. Oh no, not sad for you! Sad that alcoholism was the only commonality that I could see at the time! When I moved to Seattle in 1998, I was finally meeting people from all over the world and discovering what they liked and introduced to so many interesting ideas and experiences. I was practically starving foodwise, but I was having so much fun learning!

      Delete
  2. I was going to say something but Captain Vane's pecs have put it out of my mind. Of yes, it was parmesan with the s sounding like a zed. The way Americans say it the s sounds to me like a soft j. This is where someone says it's pronounced differently all over the country. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm yes, he is awfully distracting isn't he!

      Now that you've got me overthinking the word I'm thinking about how we say everything softer here in the Pacific Northwest that we sometimes get mistaken for Canadian by other Americans. I say it like the cheese is an Italian bloke in Japan; Parma-san. LOL

      Delete
    2. I like that. Perhaps people just keep the parmejahn pronunciation for Instagram videos.

      Delete