When I write, I listen to a lot of soundtracks. Even though I know the story and visuals that the music was set to accompany I can still see and hear the music as if it were a key to unlock doors to multiple universes like the door portal dial in Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao Miyazaki.
Here are three songs that spark my imagination from three of my favorite soundtracks:
-------------
Battlestar Galactica - The Card Game
Bear McCreary is the composer for Battlestar Galactica, Black Sails, and Outlander soundtracks.
Bear and Ramin are my main guys, I always recognize a song done by one of them and I listen to the soundtracks listed more than any others.
Finally, the Halo video game soundtrack is great!
Halo - Halo Theme Song
Martin O'Donnell is the composer for Halo and a few other video game soundtracks.
Others that I've shared before include The Witcher vided game soundtrack and Black Sails you can find those songs under the 'Music' label.
Take care! Until next time, friends!
I don't know whether you can get BBC radio programmes over there, but you would adore Radio 3's Sound of Cinema and Sound of Gaming shows... Jx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jon! I can listen to it through the BBC app or website on my phone or computer, so that's something! I would have never known about it without you! Looking forward to giving it a go for my next writing session! Big long-distance hug of thanks to you!
DeleteYou're welcome, dear! Jx
DeleteOoh all of those are new to me, thank you.
ReplyDeleteRecently I've been addicted to dead mall videos on YouTube and they often have a contemporary soundtrack for when the mall was functioning. And this is how I've been listening to Toto, who I loved in my teens on a pirated cassette!
Interesting, I'll have to give a dead mall video a try.
DeleteI don't know if you've had the chance to watch Last of Us with Padro Pascal based off the video game by the same name, but there's an episode of a blossoming teenage romance between two girls that takes place in a post-apocalyptic mall that made me nostalgic.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI keep toying with the idea of rewatching Battlestar Galactica, but after only getting as far as the first episode, "33", after the miniseries in my last attempt because it was so grim and unrelenting, I haven't started it again yet. I love the music, though!
ReplyDeleteHayao Miyazaki's "The Boy and the Heron" came out on Netflix here in the UK a couple of days ago, so I'm going to subscribe again to watch it. Have you seen it yet?
Oh, I know, the first episode is so heavy! You really should continue beyond it though. I will say it is equal parts drama and action-adventure. A true space opera! So beautiful in its exploration of what it means to be human and some lovely settings. I was obsessed with Gaius Baltar's house, which is a real house in West Vancouver, BC. At any rate, one of my favorite posts on my old Proxima Blue Blogger site was "A place as character" about how a physical place can become an important character in a story. I mentioned Gaius Baltar's house and the ACTUAL OWNER of the real house found my post and sent me pictures and the listing for the house as they were putting it up for sale. It was such a treat to see more of the house, though I couldn't have possibly afforded to buy it in this lifetime!
DeleteSeason 3 is pretty dark and young me was not so different from Kara "Starbuck" Thrace. In this season there's an episode where she is held captive by her stalker, which triggered my PTSD the first time I watched it. I endured a terrible 18-month stalking incident when I was 19. I've since been able to rewatch the whole series without being triggered.
I haven't seen the Boy and the Heron, but I've been meaning too!