I haven't heard anyone say that 2024 was 'their year' or 'the best year ever', in fact, quite the opposite. Let it not be just the Americans that feel the need to trauma dump at the end of this rough year. Go ahead, join in GB, Canada, Germany, Australia and elsewhere. Your people are here, connecting through the internets. Raise a glass of your preferred beverage and with a hearty yell, "Sod off 2024!" (or similar string of sentiments.)
I had cancer. It was cut out three days before my 50th birthday on December 12th along with it my uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix. I'm cancer free now. I wasn't prepared to be moonshot into menopause. I'm still not. There are so many questions! I turned to Reddit r/menopause and r/hysterectomy to hear from other women. It's an important time in a woman's life that society brushes under the rug unless they're a pharmaceutical company or advertiser pushing "Age Renewal" creams.
Honestly, who the fuck wants to be a "mature woman"? JD Vance and his Ilk will tell you the purpose of post-menopausal women is to help the child-bearing women care for the children. Fuck off! I'm going to teach the children how to use a sling shots and BB guns and how to cuss like little sailors!
Shit cakes need toppings of course. I know my son didn't mean to give me the plague for Christmas, (okay, not THE Plague) but a nasty cold. I think I've torn an inner suture from coughing. It's not intolerable, all things considered. I barely remember Christmas day, it was my worst day with the cold, and I spent most of it in bed, under the covers, with the phone ringer off.
The bill is currently estimated at $32,000 for the surgery. We'll see how much insurance will pay of it or if they'll deny, delay and defend. I've already got them on speed dial trying to keep my mother's care funded for, just one more week, just one more week, just one more week......
It's not just that my body is exhausted, my spirit is exhausted. I can't even cry about it. Maybe I really have been just sitting here for the last few weeks with the 'thousand-yard stare' one gets from so much trauma at once.
The day before the surgery I had an interview for a job I really, really wanted. My spouse and I orchestrating how we would dose me with drugs, and he would drive me there and back so that I could do the final interview hoping they wouldn't notice any weirdness. Instead of calling me for that final interview the day after my surgery, they said that they really liked me, but decided to hire someone else. It's the only time I've cried this much. To reach out for a flame of hope only to get smoke.
The biggest layer of this shit cake though is that I didn't have time to contemplate my own health as I have been so worried in my effort to help my mom when I don't know what the fuck I'm doing or how to navigate all these state and local agencies and subsidiaries to keep her cared for! I just had to "get 'er done." She needed the 3-day stay in the hospital, but then they sent her to a rehabilitation place, no exceptions. Except the rehabilitation place hasn't done their job properly with having too many patients and not enough staff. So now she can't walk, she weighs as much as a young child, and they don't give her the medications on schedule which is incredibly painful for her. I've been pulling favors having people visit her and bringing her favorite foods to eat. Both so she eats well, but more importantly so that she knows she is not invisible and not forgotten.
I've finally found an advocate that my stepdad and I can rely on and soon we'll get her out of that terrible place and somewhere quiet where she can get more individualized attention. They put her in such a bad state neither my stepdad nor I could take her home to care for her. She now needs 24-hour care and despite 35 years of marriage my stepdad my need to divorce her to force the state to help pay for care, otherwise they would take it all, every last dollar to leave my 87-year-old stepdad homeless in an effort to recoup all money for her care. The poverty line was last updated in 2019, but the metrics used to formulate what the poverty line is in the U.S. hasn't been updated since the 1960s.
There is a large number of Americans in the class of "the working poor" that are homeless and make too much money to get federal or state aid based on these old metrics. I used to be one of them. The cost of housing used to be about 30% of a person's take home pay. Now it's 80% if not more, leaving very little money for food, utilities, gas or cell phone. I have talked to many homeless people in my life to the point that I was able to ask, "What happened? How did you get here?"
A lot of them say it comes down to medical debt, the straw that broke the camel's back. One guy was solidly middle-class, then he got rear-ended really bad by a hit and run driver who was never caught. It messed up his back really bad causing chronic back pain. He started missing work because of it and lost his job. His wife left because he had no job, struggled to find a new one and couldn't really help around the house because he was in so much pain. He has two kids he hasn't seen since they were toddlers. He hopes she told the kids he was dead, because he is so ashamed, he wouldn't want them to see him as he is.
The Republicans like to paint over huge societal problems with one color of paintbrush. A brush that always lays the blame and obligated penance on the backs of the people suffering. The homeless are homeless because they got addicted to drugs and blew up their lives. Women have problems because they are not married to strong good Christian men to take care of them. Gays and transgendered people are messed up because they are gay, obviously, not like they are messed up from being assaulted by strong good Christian men or denied basic human respect, right?
It's women's fault that birth rates are falling and there won't be a younger generation big enough to bear the weight of paying for and caring for all the elderly citizens. So, they'll threaten us and assault us and apply their laws to our bodies, but you know what, it's too damn late. I wanted to believe that we were better than this. That the old white Christian males would wake up and realize that all the people they disagree with are still Americans that they need to work for and work with, but no, it's too damn late.
I guess Octavia Butler was more prescient than I wanted to believe when she wrote Parable of the Sower and perhaps, we'll have to pull it out of Science Fiction and put it into Science Fact on how to collapse an empire.
If you read this far, you have my thanks. It's a bit stream-of-consciousness. I'm going to read it tomorrow and be embarrassed by all the spelling mistakes, but I stand behind my anger, frustration and sadness. They are valid emotions for challenging times. We should start a revolution! Maybe in six to eight weeks. I couldn't possibly flip a car in anger given my current state. (Although....I still know how to drive a forklift!)
I'm so sorry to hear all you have been going through. I have been wondering about you and was worried.I wish I could reach out and give you a huge, long hug!!!! I'm glad to hear your cancer free. That's huge!!!! But what healthcare in the US?!?!?! For me its been a long struggling issue for many and let unchecked too long by both parties. I'm uncertain who to trust anymore and have very little faith left in any of it. And another year? When every New Year rolls around, I very seldom hear anybody say it was there year. It seems anymore every year stinks.
ReplyDeleteYou have every right to stand behind your anger, frustration and sadness. Many do...just like that Lugi guy. The government and politicians best wake the hell up. Having just been to Africa, there is an African proverb: "The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth" I believe this is going to happen.
I genuinely do wish you a better New Year next year. And we all have each other to lean on.
Thank you, Mistress! Your support means a lot! I try not to trauma dump, I know everyone has their battles, it's just been so much lately. I wish we could just sit back and watch the Republicans fight amongst themselves, but we're the ones that suffer regardless.
DeleteI've heard that proverb before. It's a good one! You went to Africa? How cool!
Oh my dear you unload when need be! It's healthier too!!! And IM sure you'll get your wish with the Republican party. They are already starting to inbite and GET stabby with each other. Sit back and watch the show. But your right, we'll all pay the price of admission I'm sure.
DeleteXOXO
Fuck! You've been having the roughest of times. We count our blessings here in the UK that, although deprivation and poverty is still a major issue, we have the (admittedly creaking-at-the-seams) NHS to see us through - at least where critical illness is concerned. "Care" for the elderly is a different matter.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to you, and I hope the new year brings at least some cheer... Jx
Thank you, Jon! I'm starting to blame just about everything on private equity firms. I don't know if it's a problem in the UK or if the laws are different enough to help, but they are buying up everything, driving down customer service/satisfaction to bleed as much money out of businesses and then send them to bankruptcy to close. They really don't care, they spread out their portfolios so far and wide it just about getting as much RTO (return on investment) before they flush it. This is hypercaptialism on steroids, when it's no longer a relationship between customer/clients and a small business owner or franchise, but equity firms answering to shareholders. They undercut the real small business owners. The rule of law just can't keep up.
DeleteHopefully your new PM will do something about improving your National Healthcare system!
Thank you for being such a consistently good friend, Jon! I can always count on you for a few encouraging words!
Oh my God, Melanie, you've been having an awful time of it. An early menopause won't be helpful with all you're going through.
ReplyDeleteCare for the elderly is abysmal in the UK - I am not looking forward to it at all. I'm trying to dream up ways of helping myself and others for when we find it challenging to look after ourselves - I doubt the overlords will be much use.
Take the very best of care, m'dear, and let's pray for a miracle [I very rarely pray].
SXXX
Thank you, Ms Scarlet! In all that's happening with my mom (especially) and dad, it's made me and the Mister think hard about what we can do to set ourselves up better. We wouldn't want to be a burden to each other or our only child, but we wouldn't leave each other to suffer poor care either. We live in a "Right-to-die" state, but you have to be declared terminal to get permission from a doctor to die with dignity. In the 1980s, in my hometown, I remember friends of the family finding out they had a terminal or degenerative disease and offing themselves as politely and cleanly as possible. We never judged them for it, but it wasn't you talked about outside of close confidences. It always made me sad that there never seemed to be a better way then. Their families wouldn't get their life insurance money, but it seemed a smaller price to pay than everything going to medical insurance companies and debtors.
DeleteOur societies need to do better! If you think of any good ideas for caring for yourself and those closest to you, let me know! I will do my best to take care of myself, you do the same!
It doesn't hurt to pray to the old gods or the new, but are any of them even listening?
Verdammt und zugenäht ! Proxima, oh my dear Proxima ... The "Totaloperation" as it was once called here, do not know the correct medical term in English, as I learned from women around me it is a very powerful change. But if You can get rid of the damn cancer it is well worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteAs you say, piece by piece, step by step.
It can only get better "Abwettern" the sailors say, riding it out, protect the ship by going with the storm, just do not brake the thing in pieces.
I wish You all the best Melanie. Sei umarmt - come on, we are wading through mud for seventeen years now, let's just stumble on ...
P.S.
You surely know the texts of Lafcadio HEARN about Japanese Ghosts and Spirits. At this year's christmas gathering one relative gave a copy of a new edition to another one. The new thing about it is the illustration work by Benjamin LACOMBE (the first edition was published in Paris in 2020). There is also a book with illustrations by Lacombe about Japanese Samurai Women.
Thank you, dear Mago! I like the imagery of protecting the ship by going with the storm. For all I have said, there is more that I do not tell. Some things are just best left unsaid on the internet. Battle strategies recalculated. I suppose I'm an odd person to think that scars are sexy. I just think scars tell a story that this skin worn has tried to make the best of a harsh life. Life has never been fair. I've never been sheltered or afraid to take risks. I still have a few spare parts left that they could take.
DeleteI will look for the book mentioned, Thank you! I know the path of Bushido well. I was impressed early on in my formal Japanese education about the Samurai women. There was a grave recently discovered, where they learned from the skeleton's pelvis bones that there were more female Samurai warriors than originally thought.
I wish this were not happening to you. I wish I could do something to help. All I have is one fact that I learned in my life, and that is, the ONE good thing about menopause (and in particular sudden menopause, like when my mom had her hyst.) is that it turns you into an Unstoppable Monster Being. This is why Kali is female, I'm pretty sure. That energy will get you through times when you just can't be an adult and do the right thing anymore, and if anyone deserves to march at the head of an army it's you right now. So go ahead and keep raging, and keep posting. We'll keep reading and cheering for you. And believe me - ! NOBODY is marking you down for punctuation!
ReplyDeleteThank you for such great words of encouragement and support, Ms Nations! I know you have your own battles!
DeleteOh, Melanie! Aside for the fact that you're free of cancer now (but, what a cost), there don't seem to be many silver linings here.* I hope your recovery is quick, and that early 2025 will endow some good news. Big hugs!
ReplyDelete* Although, you can still drive a forklift. And swear!
Thank you, dear IDV. I do so hate to focus on negative things. I fight hard so that a puddle of depression doesn't turn into a lake. I am actively working to make things worth looking forward to in 2025.
DeleteOh, Melanie! I am so sorry to read this. And very grateful to Mago for linking you, otherwise it would have been ages before I got to this.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing all the right things and, if it helps, you have us at your back.
Thank you, dear Dinal! This community means so much to me! I can't tell you how heartening it is to know you are all out there. It's a pleasure to think, "I have friends in Europe and Australia (and many in Japan too!) I want to be healthy enough to travel again! I dearly miss my friends in Japan, but we also want to travel to Europe as well. For Europe, it's so hard to decide! So many countries! So many things to see and not enough time even if we take two months as we would like to do!
Delete