Breathe Water

 Sorry for the silence. I need to stay out of trouble for a little while longer.



Breathe Water


Find the universe within you



Discovered my hiraeth has roots in....Spain?!?! What?

An epic plot twisted dropped by my dad's older sis.  




12 comments:

  1. I adore that Albéniz number - especially when it's performed with the simplicity of the two artists that video! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hi, Jon, I'll try to come around and visit everyone later today. I found this video the other day when I was trying to remember the name of castanets, which I only knew as "the clacker things" one of my grandma's had. I've heard this song several times throughout my life but never knew what it was called until now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's what I Google when I forget the word 'Castanets'! Maybe Spanish clacker things. I forget so much these days.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always said, "You'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on!" Honestly though, I didn't care about the same things she did. I had a whole other life she wasn't aware of, she never asked.

      Older age is different though; I make a point of making notes to remember the things that are important. My favorite thing about cell phones is the notes and calendar apps! That it also receives phone calls is a mixed blessing. LOL! We can't get too hard on ourselves for forgetting things in such an overstimulated world!

      Delete
  3. Sorry, but what is "hiraeth" ? I simply do not know this word, and have no idea where it could originate from. Or is it just a typo ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Welsh word, Mago - one that doesn't have a literal translation, either. It basically sums up a sentimental attachment to one's roots, or "Land of My Fathers", indeed. Jx

      Delete
    2. What Jon said. It's a feeling that doesn't translate into one word really, certainly not in English.

      There's a phantom limb in my family tree. My dad and his sister don't look like their pale-skinned blue-eyed dad, but they do look like the darker-skinned side of his family. I didn't know my aunt felt the same sense of loss until she invited herself over after my dad gave me a box with pictures and info she'd never seen before. We've all been tempted to get a DNA test, but there's a lot of stories of DNA companies selling the results to health insurers who use it to deny health insurance or make you pay crazy high fees if they discover pre-existing conditions. We weren't allowed to ask questions. I know the Great Depression scarred my paternal family in ways I'll never know. They quietly blended into my grandma's family who owned an empire of wheat fields in the rugged Palouse valley. Grandma's dad had a big personality and an even bigger reputation. The kind of person you want to stand behind and not in front of during a confrontation.

      Delete
  4. Hiraeth is a beautiful word. That's exactly where my heart goes when I think about the PNW.
    In an odd sideways coincidence, my estranged mom owned a pair of castenets and could play them like a demon! You didn't dare ask her how that skill could have possibly been handy (kaff hack exotic dancer cough hatchoo vice arrest cough cough The Great Depression) because she'd get pissed and stomp out of the room. Which was fine. Whose mom just busts out the castenets at random moments? Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the imagery of your story! Hey maybe we're related?!?! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a hot new family secret dropped at this point...old people!

      I just finished Neko Case's autobiography "The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You", she grew up around here, mostly near Bellingham. I bet she's related to us too. Her childhood was frickin' brutal, and I say that as someone who had a rough one but not like hers! I wish I could hug the child that she was. I'd happily hug the adult version of her too. Pour a drink out for all of us who survived the endless days of neglect.

      Delete
  5. Won't ask what trouble y'all got into, sweetpea, but whatever it was, I hope you surface again soon. The music was intense, especially the first one! My DIL is a flamenco dancer and teacher, so I'm very familiuar with castanets. There are small shops filled with nothing but castanets in Madrid where she and our son lived while she studied dance. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably just being neurotic, Savvy. I'm sorry. We're set to go on an international trip real soon that means a lot to me and my family. I'll get to see some beloved friends I haven't seen in 20 years! I'm just worried my resting bitch face is going to get me in trouble with the U.S. Customs people. I'm trying not to watch the news too much, but it feels like every day some new level of crazy drops. It seems wise to keep my big mouth shut for now.

      That's so cool that your DIL is a Flamenco dancer! Madrid looks like a fun city to visit.

      Delete
    2. Stay sharp, sweetpea! No need to be sorry, we're in weird times, so watch your back and carry a burner phone with no social media on it. There's lots of info out there about traveling with phones, computers, etc SAFELY. I t being neurotic, it's being smart! xoxo

      Delete