Grief is a weird thing. I'll be perfectly fine for awhile than some silly little thing will spark a memory and I'll storm cloud for a short time. Grief rolls through me like the brief summer thunderstorms of my childhood in the hot dry clime of Eastern Washington. Here in Western Washington, they are much less frequent. The pines and grasslands are replaced with firs and maples.
It's so green here and Seattle having the nickname of "the Emerald City" made my dumb kid brain spin a whole new level of story building. I thought that The Wizard of Oz was a story of magical realism, and that Dorothy was picked up by a tornado in Kansas and dropped in Eastern Washington, outside of Ellensburg to be exact, with all their sleepy golden wheat fields. Then she was given her vision quest to Seattle, the Emerald city, where the wizard lives. Alas, it's just a man behind a curtain pulling the gears of capitalism. Had she come to Spokane I could have told her told her to never trust those city folk in their fancy suits and sent her home on a Greyhound bus. In some ways I like my version better even if it only amuses me.
I was wrong on every account, except that there are definitely shady men controlling the gears of capitalism and I'm still more likely to trust a man wearing jeans than one wearing a suit.
Transitioning to a completely different train of thought now in 3...2...1
We should give more respect to our middle school teachers! I forget what middle school translates to in Europe, but basically, we're talking about the teachers that must suffer the classes of newly pubescent boys that are still learning how frequently to shower and use deodorant as they walk around proudly displaying their little miniature baby moustaches. Aw, so cute!
I'd forgot to share this picture with you last month. My child so far seems to be cis hetero, but some of his classmates that I've known since kindergarten have come to redefine themselves. My love for them doesn't change of course and parents in this mostly blue liberal utopian nook embrace their children for who they are. A mom from the PFLAG group shared this wonderful picture of their pride float requesting a donation for new shoes to freshen it up a bit for this year.
and finally...
I was at the grocery store yesterday and this wine gift bag made me think of ya'll. So yes, thoughts of our little blog ensemble have a way of cheering me up. 😆
It's currently mojito season in this house because it's hot, it's damn hot.
Stay cool friends!


I like the Pride float! And the grocery store sign!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what I made of the Wizard of Oz when I was a kid - I think I just wanted a pair of those shiny red shoes. I still do, to be honest.
Sx
Well, yes, who wouldn't want a flashy pair of red shoes!
DeleteSpeaking of ruby slippers - I tried on Judy Garland's hat once, you know? Jx
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun night you had! And a fabulous hat to try on for sure!
DeleteNothing like a summer on the Sound - humid, smoky, and...humid and smoky. I like your take on Dorothy a lot.
ReplyDeleteI'm currently overworking myself in the yard trying to get ahead on so many projects before the inevitable heat and smoke leave me stuck in the house pacing like a caged tiger for weeks on end. Last October really sent me up a wall from all that smoke from the Bolt Creek fire near Skykomish. :( We went to Leavenworth for a night and I saw the burn scars from the fire. Very steep terrain. No wonder they couldn't do much about it.
DeleteOh, Melanie, I've just read of your loss - much love to you.
ReplyDeleteP.S. We certainly are an outdoorsy lot!
P.P.S. I saw this brief article about selkies today, and thought of you.
DeleteNot that I'm saying you've left your seal skin somewhere, of course...
We all know you're the selkie of the group! I'm more of a freshwater spirit like Melusine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melusine) or an ambivalent Nixie who keeps to herself and doesn't set about drowning people. Thank you for your condolences. In some ways the loss is harder because we struggled for so many years to get along. We were both very strong headed women, and she was closer to my age than my dad's, so that made it kind of weird.
DeleteSorry to hear of your loss. X
ReplyDeleteOutdoors is peoply and over-rated.
I live in the suburbs ("the burbs") so it's not so peoply when I go outside, which is why I love living here. You'll have to become more of a Crepuscular creature. Those are the ones creeping about at dusk and dawn.
Delete