I Don't Abide a Floggin' Rooster

 


Well crap, I have to drive over the mountains again. The window is quickly closing on how long I can keep rushing over to get things done there before the snows come. I drive a minivan; it was just the most practical vehicle when we bought it fourteen years ago. I like that I can haul around a bunch of plants, help friends move and bring home a full sheet of plywood without getting rained on, but the downside is that it sucks in the snow! It is just not a good snow vehicle! I also enjoy the times when I can gather my whole posse of friends or family for a trip where I can be the designated driver making sure all my loved ones get home safe after our shared adventure.

Surely it has come across to most of you that I tend to be a bit of a "take charge" sort of person. I'm always happy to defer to others outside of my expertise, but most of the time I end up being the natural leader in whatever group I'm in. Yesterday my son said "Aye, Aye, Captain" when I was giving him instructions on how to do something.


An approximation of my son:



At any rate, the Garden D'Lite party is currently going on over Inexplicable DeVice's place as most of you know and I brought turkeys to the party. (Rather uncouth of me, I know.)


Well, now you know just how rural I can get! Here's a good approximation as embodied by Renee Zellweger's character Ruby from the movie Cold Mountain. I hope this clip isn't region locked and I hope you enjoy it! It's a really good movie that takes place during the American Civil War. I think the ending could have been tightened up a bit, that's my only real complaint. If you haven't seen it, give it a try!




Wish me luck on safe travels!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word! Bye, bye Mr Rooster!! I'm sure I must have seen Cold Mountain, but I would have remembered that clip?!
    I wish I was as practical as you. Practical people are always needed and good to have around.
    Sx
    P.S Doesn't Nicole look pretty?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, Nicloe Kidman is so beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I do not envy you having to cross The Pass at this time of the year. (Snoqualmie?) I am cozy at home listening to the neighbors' rooster sing his song of funky luv at 4: 00 A.M. and wishing I had a decent air pistol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Snoqualmie is the lowest elevation pass between the cascades. I just returned yesterday, it was heavy rain, windy and misty. Really bad visibility at times and all those dumbasses that don't turn on their lights! I'm really glad I got new tires before I went. There were large puddles on the road so most everyone was trying to stick to the middle lane. Passing trucks was tricky when you're getting flooded from the waves coming off their tires. When my dad asked, "How was the pass?" I said, "A giant car was." That's what it felt like, going through a 53-mile car wash.

      Don't you live in an apt in B-ham now? Does someone have a hobby farm nearby, then? Maybe they'll eat the rooster this winter.

      Delete
  3. Glad to learn that you returned in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did, Thank you! And just in time before an epic windstorm hit and a blizzard closed the mountain pass.

      Delete
  4. Ah, so the minivan also transports turkeys. I trust you had a BIG pot at the other end of your journey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know on this trip the turkeys were nowhere to be seen. They must have sensed my predatory gaze.

      Delete