Giri (Duty) / Haji (Shame) and LOTR and more

 Last week we finished watching Giri/Haji and loved it!

It takes place in Tokyo and London, mostly in London. In fact, I would say it was kind of funny that it felt like everything happening in the London scenes was happening all in one borough. Or London really is tiny compared to my expansive American experience. Maybe there was a lot of tram taking edited out.

Wonderfully acted! I loved all the main characters.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jon lurking in the back of some of those parties that Rodney went too.

At one point they went to the English coastline to find IDV in Selkie form, but were sadly disappointed.

I don't want to give any spoilers, only to say that there were times I was concerned that the show would fall into some old tropes, specifically the "bury your gays"-trope. I can assure you this was not the case. Hopefully this is currently available to UK viewers, right now.


Trailer: Giri/Haji



We're also watching Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power on Amazon Prime. I had blissfully forgotten how frustrating it is to have to wait for a new episode to drop only once a week.


Trailer: Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power







And finally....


Song to make you cry:

I rediscovered an old song from my darker days. I read the comments on the video and see that it hits a lot of people as viscerally as it does me. Even after all these years a part inside of me screams and cries and sways when I hear it. I've been playing it a lot lately when I'm alone. I can't tell if its cathartic or just picking at old wounds.

Advisement* Don't listen if you want to stay in a good mood.

The Offspring - Gone Away




Song to make you dance:

Here's one song that never fails to get me on the dance floor and have fun!





8 comments:

  1. Never heard of Giri/Haji , and the video is unavailable... I don't pay for any subscription channels so I am unlikely to see either of these programmes. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a shame! Maybe if one of your friends has Netflix you could watch it with them. It's a limited series, only eight episodes. It's nice to have a really good show that is limited. We have so many other shows where we have to keep waiting for the next season and some of them are getting terrible by the 3rd season, they're hardly worth watching anymore.

      Delete
    2. I am also getting the 'unavailable' notice - but I can look it up on Netflix. I like limited seasons - I agree, shows do often go off the boil by the third season.
      Songs from my dark days always tug me back and make me sad.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. It must be some kind of conspiracy! I wonder if it's some kind of regionalization issue, but then that shouldn't be a problem either between the US and UK. Did China buy the US while I was sleeping? Lame! Ms Scarlet, please check your Netflix and let us know here if its currently available over there. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. It looks like Giri/Haji was on the Beeb 2 or 3 years back, as I found some BBC trailers on YouTube. It's not on now, though - at least, I couldn't find anything on BBC iPlayer - probably because Netflix has got it?
    (I declined to appear in the coastal scenes because they couldn't - or wouldn't - meet my exhorbitant appearence fee. Cheapskates!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking! Hopefully it will be available to UK viewers again soon and my recommendation here will tickle the back of the brain to watch it next time it is available.

      How cheap of them! They would probably blame the cost of flights from London to Tokyo for making it prohibitive to pay your appearance fee.

      Delete
  3. Not seen Giri/Haji but about London - it's notoriously a psychologically divided place. There's the north and south one and it's been described as a series of villages. Your description of London as feeling small reminded me of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found this comment. I'm sorry Hound, Blogger put you in a time out again by way of "Awaiting Moderation", it always suspects your up to know good. I imagine London is not too different from Seattle in some ways. There are neighborhoods that feel like villages too and having always been a North side girl wherever I go, I know the least amount about the "southside of anywhere."

      Delete