Army of Foxes, the Cake

 I'm not one to make much of a fuss about my birthday, but I was inspired by the Bloggerati story between Ms Scarlet and IDV (which still needs a conclusion btw, ahem.)


As some might recall, I threatened to send an army of foxes as poor Mr Mago had found himself naked and cold with only so much a tea towel to keep his nether parts from getting blue balled. I suppose I could have sent an American-sized bath towel big enough for three mates to be rolled like a pig in a blanket, but I do so love foxes, which are prevalent in Europe and the opportunity to flex on my ability to communicate with some of Nature's wiliest creatures.

This led to the inspiration on how I might create an "army of foxes" for my own amusement and joy. The answer was simple, why in cake form, of course darlings! Yum!

Well, no one keeps me around for my culinary skills and why should a girl have to make her own cake, anyways. Blame Feminism, I don't care. It just so happens I have a friend that owns a bona fide bakery. My mistake was not calling ahead sooner. I didn't realize they would already be so slammed this close to Christmas but being the fine mate that she is she really wanted to make this cake happen for me in time for my birthday. Awwwww.

I'd bought stencils off of Etsy because I really didn't want to burden someone unnecessarily to make my creative vision come true. I was wondering why they took so long to ship; it turns out they came from Austria. That's cool!

This wasn't the vision I had in mind, but I always appreciate other people's interpretations of a creative prompt so I'm not disappointed. I like it for what it is, and I appreciate it even more that they put in extra time to make it happen. They've had such a tough time trying to stay in business since the pandemic. I do my best to support them without going into diabetic shock or gaining a thousand pounds, which is to say, I jitter about on tall Americanos and subdue it with the occasional pastry.


The cake:

Buttercream frosting white cake with a light and bright lemon filling. 














There's nothing more frightening than a woman who knows her own power.

Happy "Cunning as a Fox" Day!



17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, my dear!!!

    Jx

    PS Still hate foxes, however. The constant battle between us and them to stop them digging out our pots, and the stench of their piss around our garden is enough for me to yearn for a shotgun rather than a cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon!

      I suppose I would find them a bit less endearing if they were spraying stinky piss all over my yard. My association with them is very different. It's rare to see a North American Red Fox. They were nearly hunted to extinction, they have many more predators here and the US and Canda is huge in land mass, obviously. I've only seen two wild foxes in all my years. One red fox and one gray fox.

      Delete
    2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Wow, that cake is fantastic - and I love how you found the inspiration in my comment box!
      Aww, Melanie, you're such a softie beneath that brusque exterior!!
      Sxx

      Delete
    3. Thank you and yes, Thanks to you and IDV for the inspiration!

      I'm a Saint, Ms Scarlet, just don't make me pass through any metal detectors where I have to reveal where I'm hiding all my daggers and throwing stars.

      Delete
    4. I think Ms Scarlet has an out to conclude our story? At least, I hope she does, as any conclusion I might muster almost certainly won't be until the New Year.

      Delete
    5. IDV, Maybe you two could collaborate over email to find the end?

      Delete
    6. Apologies for lack of conclusion - I have been unwell, but am just starting to feel a little bit better now, as my brain my be coming back online. There may even be a conclusion before Christmas!
      Sx

      Delete
    7. I lost the orientation in that strange novella at some point - I thought I was finally buried in Mogwash ?

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a delicious looking - and sounding - cake! The question is, will Mago jump out of it and sing "Happy Birthday" to you?

    Anyway: A belated happy birthday, Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only (or I should say 'it was') a 6-inch cake. Mago would have had to borrow a shrinking potion from Alice in order to be small enough to jump out of it and I'd really rather he not as I am fastidious when it comes to food safety. :)

      Delete
    2. You do NOT want to hear me singing IDV.
      Otherwise it's all about shrinkage nowadays. I guess I'd get lost in that cake ...

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Melanie ! All my best wishes, I'll even light a candle for you the next time I have an occasion to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mago! Keep an eye on that candle. Don't get let it near the curtains. I have a habit of making things flare to unnatural luminosity.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, sweetpea! A day late, I know, but as another December birthday gal told me, we're the Holiday Gals, so we get to celebrate the entire month! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Thank you, Savannah! My birthday is the 12th day of the 12th month of the 12th lunar cycle (Chinese zodiac calendar, I have a lot of Asian friends that enjoy the novelty of it.) I like your perspective! I've always felt like us December birthdays always get the shaft. People are busy with holiday parties. You get a last-minute birthday/Christmas present that someone may or may not have had tucked in their closet for the last five years. Maybe I just know a lot of slackers? Hahaha. We did a shared birthday dinner last night with a friend whose b-day is on the 19th. We both got a nice meal that we didn't have to pay for. That's my favorite kind of gift, good food!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful cake! And happy birthday of course!
    Absolutely terrified of foxes because of that noise they make. I get why they've migrated to cities (sensible) but blood curdling screeches should indicate a crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hound, Thank you! It's true that foxes sometimes sound like deranged women wandering around at night. Coyotes make similar crazy sounds and also, Cougars will give you chills! They might sound like a crazy woman or a baby left in the woods. Out here in the forest, never trust the sound of a babe in the woods! It's a trap!

      Delete