We haven't had any house guests since before Covid, but at the end of this week one of my dearest friends is coming to spend a couple of nights with us. As is proper host etiquette I've been cleaning. I try not to leave it all until the last minute and really the house did need a good deep cleaning!
So, there I was dusting the clock my dad gave us for our first Christmas as a married couple many many moons ago. He knew I'd always wanted a Grandfather clock (preferably one with a secret passage behind it.) but ain't none of us rich enough for that! So this is my consolation prize? Sure, why not.
As I was dusting the clock, I spied my gargoyle box. I like gargoyles, I've got eight or nine at least. Lo and behold what was in there besides my sniff boxes from my trip to India in 2004, the object that henceforth shall be known as "The Disco ball of Unsealed Fate" which is conveniently pocket-sized! This is very fitting as I am currently obsessed with the ideas and possibilities of pocket dimensions.
Thanks mostly to The Legend of Vox Machina adult animated series, because who doesn't want a pocket bear?
![]() |
| The Legend of Vox Machina Episode 1 Recap/Ending, Explained: Is the Boy Dead or Alive? (thecinemaholic.com) |
Oh sorry, I got distracted. Where were we.....
Right! Lets open the Gargoyle box and see what's inside:







A pocket dimension? Oh, it would probably be a safe place for my DVD cover of The Ritz, personally-signed by Rita Moreno (and probably all the framed autographs on our walls), a chunk of honey-coloured crystal my Grandad hewed out of a cliff in Algeria during WWII, and my Gay Pride dressing-up wardrobe. And that's just the start,,, Jx
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fun pocket dimension, Jon! I love the story about your Granddad and I'm glad he made it back home! Do you have a picture of the crystal? Let me know if/when you post it so I don't miss it!
DeleteI might post a photo of the crystal one day, when I have had it polished... Jx
DeleteI'm a clock fiend....and have many! Heavens knows why because I'm always late. But that is a handsome clock. I also share your love of gargoyles. A friend of mine gifted me one years ago...and every place I've lived, it lives outside of my bedroom window on the windowsill.
ReplyDeleteAnd a deep clean is always a good thing....the house feels wonderful when done with it.
We're practically like two peas in a pod! One my gargoyles is particularly special because it was given to me from a friend as he was dying. So your pocket dimension might be a garden full of clocks and gargoyles? The very idea sounds like a picture waiting to be painted! I like the concept of time more than I like abiding by it. ;)
DeletePain medication. Whether I need it or not, dammit.
ReplyDeleteSo, a personal pocket pharmacy or apothecary then?
Deletea pocket Lethe. A Nepenthe. A balm of Gilead. A place of refuge, a perfect opium dream, an adventure down and past the Seventy Steps and through the Gates of Deeper Slumber to dwell in Ulthar.
DeleteOh, this upsetting, your gargoyle has reminded me that I haven't seen my baby dragon in years, what have I done with it? That's a worry. And I have a similar, though green, snuff box where I stored puppy teeth.
ReplyDeleteSx
Sometimes I still can't decide if you're my doppelgänger or a sister from another mother, Ms Scarlet! Storing puppy teeth? Now you must find the baby dragon and share it with us! Hopefully gracing your freshly refurbished mantle!
DeleteI love it! And especially the gargoyle box!
ReplyDeletePlease tell me you were brought up on John Bellairs's House with a Clock in its Walls like I was?
My dad's hobby was collecting and repairing some very wonky long case clocks: at one point we had four in a row on the landing. He would stop them at night and start them again in the morning.
Because they were all slightly wrong they would frequently chime random numbers. Obviously we were used to the clocks striking thirteen but it used to freak out visitors...
Hahaha. No, I'm afraid I haven't read that book yet. I know there is a movie that was made of it a few years ago, but I haven't seen it yet either. I grew up Blue collar (working class) and used to get in trouble for reading, which is probably why my ultimate form of rebellion has been becoming a Writer. ;)
Delete"The Disco Ball of Unsealed Fate" is almost exactly as I imagined it! Only smaller and on a rope (I thought it was going to be one of those that fit in the palm of one's hand). Well done on finding it - and those delightful little snuff boxes. I'm thinking that I should also have a tidy up to see what lost treasures I can find...?
ReplyDeleteHmmm... What to else to put in my pocket dimension? Aside from the unmentionables that are already in there, I think I'd keep some chocolate, a ball of string & a sharp pair of scissors (an extremely useful couple, either together or separate - in fact, I don't know why I don't already have some in it?), some books, a trowel, a towel, some foxglove seeds, and the two hot lifeguards from the pool!
Hopefully with the Lifeguards you get the bonus of their First Aid kits too. If you have too much fun in your pocket dimension with them, you might need an ice pack! Sadly, my days at the pool are now boring and industrious. My sweet energizer bunny has left for a better paying job where I can't follow her. Rarely do I ever find a person who can recharge me with a mere look or a word! I hope she misses me too. I always offer fair trade. I'm not a skeezy vampire!
Delete