Nonsense Verses & Nothing Ever Happens on My Block

Nonsense book of Verses 
by Wallace Tripp, 1973



It's a thin book, not more than 20 pages I'd say. Here are some of my other favorite pages.









There probably is a placed called Crewe, darned if I know where it is though!


You can find more of his books and greeting cards! at his website:  Wally Tripp - illustrator & author





Nothing Ever happens on my block!
 By Ellen Raskins, 1967






















There is no page for Ms. Raskins. She died at the age of 57 from a connective tissue disease. (Sounds painful. 😢) My son and I looked through this book so many times when he was little, and we would always find some new little detail! I love the bold ink and stylistic details as if each page was cutout silhouette with splashes of color adding to the story.

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door had a similar art style and it was such a fun and beautiful game to play. Is there a name for this art style? Or does it just fall under "Pen & Ink"?


7 comments:

  1. Such charming works - especially the Wally Tripp one. I will be on high alert every time I'm in a charity shop, looking for a copy... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it too, Jon! I need to go to his website and see what the cards look like. I like collecting greeting and postcards cards because they can be framed, they're usually not very expensive and the don't take a lot of space to store.

      Delete
  2. These illustrations all remind me of being at primary school! They are delicious!
    As for Crewe - it's a town in Cheshire, England.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them, Ms Scarlett! My parents didn't buy books really, except the playboy guide to cocktails. I learned to read despite them(?) or too spite them(?) a mix of both I suppose. At any rate, I jumped straight into adult books at age eight and its only through having a child that I now get to enjoy the joy of children's books, which are way more clever than I had given them credit for!

      Delete
  3. I don't know Ms Raskin's art style has a name or not either, but it also reminds me of being much younger (like Ms Scarlet). I think the style must have been a 60s-70s thing?
    (I think that's one of my relatives looking out of the windows of the house featured on the cover?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is a 60s/70s art style. I like it though! As a Certified Technical Writer who enjoys and appreciates the value of negative space (aka white space) many children's books these days are atrocious! They are busy in all the wrong ways and after watching the books my son and his peers pick out (I volunteered in the primary school library) they don't like the garish busy books either. The only author that could really defy that was Richard Scarry. "A lot going on" is part of what makes his books popular, similar to the "I Spy" book. I was also happy to see the kids prefer nature and science books with real photographs than drawings with lots of "bubble facts" all over the page. We loved the National Geographic kids books and shows. Clean, easy-to-read with high quality photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I like this a lot! As Ms Scarlet said Crewe is in England. It's known as a major railway junction. My grandmother used to sing an old music hall song, 'Oh mister porter, what shall I do, I wanted to go to Birmingham, but they've taken me in to Crewe...'.

    ReplyDelete